Amazon Product Photography FAQs
Product photos are undoubtedly a key factor in your business. They boost your conversion, help in your branding, and increase your value proposition.
And when it comes to Amazon, there are certain nuances that you need to understand to maximize the potential of your product photography.
Here, we’ll address common questions and concerns about Amazon product photography, including tips on how to maximize your photos to set your listing apart and make a lasting impression on shoppers.
What Is Amazon Product Photography?
Amazon product photography is the art of taking high-quality, visually appealing photos of your products to showcase them on your Amazon listing.
Why is product photography important for Amazon sellers?
Product photography has a direct impact on a customer’s purchasing decision. When customers browse Amazon, they rely heavily on product photos to get a sense of what they are buying. If your product photos are of low quality or don’t showcase your product in the best light, customers may lose interest and move on to another listing.
On the other hand, high-quality product photos can increase your chances of making a sale by capturing a customer’s attention and making your product look appealing. A great product photo can convey important information about your product, such as size, color, and texture, which can help customers make informed decisions.
In short, product photography can make or break a potential customer’s decision to purchase your product.
What are Amazon’s product photography requirements?
Amazon has specific requirements that sellers must follow when it comes to product photography. These requirements are in place to ensure that listings are consistent, easy to navigate and provide customers with a high-quality shopping experience.
- Product photos should be in focus and well-lit
- The background should be pure white and take up at least 85% of the frame
- No additional text, graphics, or watermarks should be added to the image
- At least one image of the product on its own, without accessories or props, is required
- A minimum of 500 pixels is required
- The maximum resolution possible is 10,000 pixels
- Clothing and jewelry categories require that the product be shown on a model or mannequin
- 360-degree or alternate views may be required for some categories
What is the ideal image size and resolution for Amazon product photos?
The ideal size is 2000 to 2000 pixels, with a resolution of 72 DPI. Other things to look out for include:
- Color space should be RGB, not CMYK
- Submit images in JPEG or TIFF format for optimal image quality and file size
Can I take my own product photos, or should I hire a professional?
The choice between taking your own product photos or hiring a professional is a personal one and depends on your needs and budget. If you’re on a tight budget, taking your own photos can be a good option.
However, hiring a professional photographer can be a great investment, especially if you have multiple products or if your products require specific lighting or backgrounds. Professional photographers can help you create images that stand out from the competition and make your products more appealing to customers because they have the skills, equipment, and experience to create high-quality images that showcase your products in the best light.
Whether you take your own photos or hire a professional, the key is to create high-quality, visually appealing images that accurately represent your products.
What are some tips for taking high-quality product photos for Amazon?
Our trusted experts have discussed this in detail in this article, but here are some summarized takeaways:
1. Show Different Angles and Views of the Product
- Show the product from different angles, both inside and outside the packaging
- Take shots of everything unpacked and include a shot of the packaging
- If the product has moving parts or accessories, show them in use.
2. Get Creative with Camera Angles
- Use infographics to point out features
- Show people using the product to give a sense of what it’s like to own it
- Use secondary objects to provide a frame of reference for size
- Show movement if the product has moving parts
- Consider using Amazon product videos to boost sales. 3. Fill the Frame
- Minimize empty space in the background, so the product takes center stage
- The product should take up 85% of the frame for the main image
- For additional images, play with perspective but still minimize empty space
What type of images can I use my product photography for?
There are several types of images on Amazon, you can use your product photography for each of them.
- Main image: The main image is the most important image for your product listing, as it is the first image that customers see. The main image should be high-quality, accurately represent the product, and fill at least 85% of the frame.
- Additional images: Additional images are used to provide customers with a better understanding of the product and can include different angles, colors, or product features.
- Infographic images: Infographic images can be used to highlight key product features and dimensions, making it easier for customers to understand what they are buying.
- Lifestyle images: Lifestyle images show the product being used in a real-life setting, allowing customers to imagine what it would be like to own the product.
Can I use stock photos for my Amazon product listings instead?
If you plan to use stock photos for your main image, then the answer is no. Your main product image must be a photo of the actual product you are selling, and it should accurately represent the product and its features.
But if you plan to photoshop your product into a stock image to depict a creative use of your product, then the answer is yes. This leads us to the next question.
Is it better to use photoshopped stock photos or real models for my product photography?
It depends on your ideas, budgets, and needs.
If you can find stock images that can accurately represent your products and branding, then go for it.
But if you prefer to have more authenticity and accuracy, then real-life photography is what you need. Watch this video to understand the difference better.
How many product photos should I include in my Amazon listing?
Amazon allows you to upload up to 9 images for each product listing. It is recommended to use as many as possible to give your customers a full view of the product from different angles, in different forms, inside and outside of the packaging.
The more information you can provide through your images, the more confident customers will be in their purchasing decisions. Keep in mind the main image must take up 85% of the frame and follow Amazon’s product image requirements, so it’s important to make it count!
How do I make my product photography stand out?
With how strict Amazon’s requirements are, it might seem hard at first to get creative. But that is not entirely the case. Here are some unique ways to make your images pop and attract attention:
- Showcase your product in a Blurry Outdoor Background
Make your Amazon product photos stand out by showing your product in action against a blurry outdoor background. This is a great way to help shoppers imagine using the product without the risk of distracting them with a busy background.
Plus, it’s super easy to do! Just set your camera to a wide aperture and let the magic happen.
- Highlight Benefits with Labeled Infographics
Infographic images are an effective way to show and tell about your product. They help explain how your product works and bring attention to the key features.
To make your infographics stand out, label each part of your product and explain what it does. This not only gives you the chance to show close-up details, but it also highlights all the benefits your product has to offer.
- Showcase Movement with Visual Effects
Moving parts can set your product apart from the competition, but how do you show movement in a still photo? You can depict movement using basic photography or photo-editing techniques.
You can set a low shutter speed on your camera for a motion blur or take a sequence of photos and overlay them in photo-editing software to show the range of motion.
What mistakes do I need to avoid?
Common mistakes beginner sellers do include:
- Poor Lighting: Poor lighting can make your product look unappealing and can make it difficult for potential customers to see the details. Make sure to take your photos in a well-lit area or use lighting equipment to enhance the look of your product.
- Blurred Images: Blurred images can be distracting and take away from the overall quality of your photos. Make sure to use a tripod or keep your hands steady when taking the photos to prevent blurring.
- Poor Composition: Poor composition can make your product look cluttered or disorganized. Make sure to use proper composition techniques, such as the rule of thirds, to ensure your product looks appealing and easy to understand.
From providing clear and accurate images and highlighting the features and benefits of your product to avoiding common mistakes, the key to success is to focus on presenting your product in the best light possible. With attention to detail, you can make your product stand out on Amazon, attract more customers, and boost your sales.